Switzerland V Northern Ireland: 1,000 Tickets Made Available To NI Fans For World Cup Qualifier

Up to 21,000 homes in Britain have now been without heating for nearly a week as temperatures fell to -6C overnight and ministers were accused of presiding over a 'national scandal' amid the ongoing power outage. More than a million homes lost power as winds reached almost 100mph, ripping down power lines and uprooting thousands of trees. Parts of Scotland, North East England, Cumbria and the Peak District remain cut off today. Northern Powergrid said this morning that 11,000 homes in the North of England were still without power, while 6,000 Electricity North West customers remained cut off after Storm Arwen struck last Friday night. ENW said 900 separate incidents affected 117,000 properties in Cumbria and it was the worst storm damage it had ever seen. There were also still outages north of the border where Scottish and Southern Energy Networks said about 4,100 homes were still 'off supply' overnight, including 2,800 in Aberdeenshire. Most of those still without power were in rural areas, and SSEN said its team of 850 field and support staff had restored power to 120,000 homes so far. Early this morning, temperatures fell as low as -6.1C (21F) at Cairnwell mountain in the Scottish Highlands, while the chilliest lower-level location in the UK was Pershore in Worcestershire which dropped to -3.1C (26.4F). The Met Office also issued an ice warning for much of Britain this morning, with up to 2in (5cm) of snow expected across higher ground in Scotland and the North York Moors - and some flakes even seen as far south as London. Pictured: Snow in Middlesbrough today (left) and photos issued by the Energy Networks Association of fallen power lines and repairs this week (centre and right).

Source : https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/index.html

281